Home arrow Requirements arrow Immigration
United Kingdom Working Holiday Scheme PDF Print E-mail
There are unlimited places available annually under this scheme to young citizens of the United Kingdom for a stay of up to 23 months.*  During this time, you can legally stay and work in New Zealand.


Online application service available

Applications can be made online for this scheme by following the link below.  You will need a valid Visa or Mastercard credit card. This is the only way to pay for your online application. 

However, before you think about applying, please read the following important information.

To be eligible

You must:

  • usually be permanently living in the United Kingdom – this means you can be temporarily visiting another country when you lodge your application
  • have a British passport that‘s valid for at least three months after your planned departure from New Zealand
  • be at least 18 and not more than 30 years old
  • not bring children with you
  • hold a return ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket**
  • have a minimum of NZ$350 per month of stay available funds to meet your living costs while you’re here
  • meet our health and character requirements
  • be coming to New Zealand to holiday, with work being a secondary intention for your visit
  • not have been approved a visa or permit under a Working Holiday Scheme before.


If you are already in New Zealand you also need to hold a valid temporary permit.

*Applicants under this scheme who lodge their application for a working holiday scheme work visa or permit on or after 28 November 2005 can select either a 12-month or 23-month stay in New Zealand.  Depending on the length of stay you chose you may be required to complete medical forms.  There may be a renewable option for those who select a 12-month stay. Please refer to the Health section below for further details and to our questions and answers.

**You are required to hold sufficient funds for the duration of your visit and for the purchase of an outward ticket from New Zealand. Such evidence may be requested on arrival at the border.


When you’re here

  • you must not take up permanent employment (unless you apply for and are granted an ordinary Work Permit while you’re here)
  • you must not work for a period exceeding 12 months
  • you can enrol in one training or study course of up to three months duration during your visit.


Please note: New Zealand law prohibits any person on a temporary permit, including a Working Holiday Scheme work permit, from providing commercial sexual services, or operating or investing in a business which provides such services.


Like all New Zealand workers, you will need an IRD number so that your employer can deduct tax from your earnings at the correct rate. In New Zealand, you pay tax on a pay as you earn (PAYE) basis. This means that there should not be a large refund or an amount to pay when you leave. For more information see Inland Revenue's Travelling to New Zealand webpage [external link].

Health requirements

You can read about our health requirements. Online applicants will be advised by the online system whether medical certificates are required, and, if so, where to send them. The requirement to complete a Medical and X-ray Certificate is automatically calculated on the basis of the length of stay you select under this Working Holiday Scheme. and where you apply from. To determine whether you will need to complete medical requirements, see table below. 



If you select 12 months

If you select 23 months

If you are applying in New Zealand

Medical certificates ARE required

Medical certificates ARE required

If you are applying outside New Zealand

Medical certificates ARE NOT required (unless you have spent time in a country not considered low TB risk country

Medical certificates ARE required



Character requirements

You will need to meet our character requirements for temporary entry  to New Zealand. 


How do I apply?

Applications under this Working Holiday Scheme can be made online. 


Take me to Working Holiday Schemes online.   This link will take you to our Online Services login page. On this page you can register for online services or if you have already registered you can log in and access the Working Holiday Scheme online application system.   Check our questions and answers for more information on the online application system.

If you want to apply manually, follow the steps to apply for a Working Holiday Scheme Work Visa or Permit.